Monday, September 1, 2014

Celebrating Sophie - A Glorious Unfolding

It's hard to believe that a year ago today, we welcomed our sweet Sophie into our world, held her, had birthday cake, and then, let her go to be with Jesus.  When I think back on our days of "waiting for Sophie," (we were in Orlando for 3 weeks as a family) I think of how the Lord showed us His greatness, His love, and many holy moments.  She was the sweetest gift to us as she taught us that life truly is a celebration because God is the creator of all life, and He wants us to cherish and treasure the life He gives even if it is short and we don't know the answer to all our "why" questions. 
I told my adult children, Luke, Dan and Laurie and Nick, that the Lord brought out the best in them each day in those 3 weeks, and the 28 hours of labor at the very end of those 3 weeks.  The boys brought Starbucks to the hospital for us, and gave the nurses doughnuts. Uncle Luke and Uncle Dan helped Nick care for Isaac and Jordan as Laurie and I were in the labor room for those 28 hours!!  And they were so in tune to the right time to come back to the hospital when it was determined that Lindsey would finally have a C-section.   Laurie helped Lindsey labor and coordinated photographers, church friends, and so many events that happened on the eve of Sept 1.

I will never forget how Kevin supported Lindsey as she labored and how Lindsey took each phase with grace and strength.  I will never forget how each nurse that came along for her shift told Lindsey and Kevin what a privledge  it was to serve them and how the Lord had hand picked each nurse for just what Lindsey needed at that phase of labor.
A  special nurse who was praying for us as we got to see Sophie for the first time! 
 
And I will always be thankful for Jennafer and Brady White who served our family in so many ways and loves Sophie just as much as we do!  I will never forget the waiting room, filled with Lindsey and Kevin's friends, gathered together, praying, quietly anticipating, supporting us as a family just by their presence.
 I will never forget best friends Julie and Jesse being in the labor room with us, supporting and loving their friend through so many hours.  I will never forget hearing about the many other friends who prayer walked the hospital on the first floor foyer, vigilant and dedicated in those late hours of the night and wee hours of the morning. And there were countless others praying all over the world, and our own friends in Lebanon, Ohio following all our days in Orlando, "waiting for Sophie."  I will never forget seeing our Sophie for the first time, so alive and pink and chubby.  And I will never forget her in my arms, oh so briefly, because so many were there to hold her.  My first granddaughter...I called her my little princess.  We prayed for time with her, and the Lord gave 10 precious hours.  And one day we will see her in all her healed glory and she will show us "the ropes" of heaven because she has known the joy of being in our Saviour's presence.  I hope she will take her Nini (me) by the hand and show me the special pleasures she has known. 

And so a year has passed.  I have thought of Sophie every day and with each first day of the month I would get a bouquet of colorful flowers.  She was a party girl from the beginning of the days we celebrated her in her mommy's womb and "colorful" is what me made each celebration!  And we are having a little party today, watching videos of her birth and Celebration service.  And we will launch a big balloon tonight in honor of her first birthday in heaven.

Sophie's story is still a glorious unfolding of God's purposes and plans. But I have to admit, my heart misses her deeply.   She has taught me to lay up treasures in heaven...because that is where she is, in whole and restored glory, not as an angel baby, but as a real little person God created!

Here are some special memories of "Waiting for and Celebrating Sophie!"



Waiting for Sophie at Celebration Hospital Aug. 31, 2013
 
 
Prayer in the waiting room
Prayer at midnight just outside the hospital front doors
The Prayer Team in the hospital lobby...praying Scripture and powerful prayers that gave us strength and grace and joy!
 
 
 
 Waiting Room moments
 
 
Meeting Sophie! September 1st in the wee hours!
Nini and Sophie...love!
 


 Papa and Nini
 
 Aunt Laurie
 
Uncle Nick
 
Uncle Dan
 
 Aunt Laurie and Uncle Luke
 
A sweet moment with my daughter and my first granddaughter
My sweet girls
 
The friends who helped us Celebrate Sophie in those wee hours of September 1, 2013
 
Celebrating Sophie's arrival with an amazing cake!
 
 Lindsey and Kevin with their sweet Sophie
 
 
 
Her little hand's grip on Kevin's finger and
her sweet footprint, not too small to make an impact on the world! And she surely did and continues to touch us all with her brief but amazing life.  Like my son Luke said, though she never spoke a word, she did have a voice!
 
Sophie's story is still unfolding...it is one we cherish and it is one where we truly were able to get a glimpse of our great God and Father.   We give Him the glory.
 
 
 Stephen Curtis Chapman's title song "The Glorious Unfolding." 
It gives courage and hope! 
 

2 comments:

  1. This had me choked up with tears in my eyes. Just. So. Beautiful. Thank you for being open and honest, vulnerable and real, and for sharing Sophie and your love for Jesus with the rest of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is not forgotten. Praying extra special prayers during this time. What a beautiful celebration of God's amazing handiwork.

    ReplyDelete